23 June 2011

We Are As The Army of Helaman


This EFY Medley song touches my heart every single time I hear it. EFY stands for Especially For Youth. It is a summer camp in which members and non-members of our church can go to be spiritually fed for an entire week. The week consists of really good food three times a day, classes about Jesus Christ, dances, activites, awards, and just a really good spiritual week. I had the oppurtunity to go 3 times to EFY and I loved every session that I was privileged to go to. I met a ton of people and made a lot of new friendships and strengthened others. At the end of the week, there is a big formal dance. It is the one that everyone looks forward to. We get all dressed up and get to eat really good food, and then after we get to dance the night away. At the end of the dance, all of us sing this medley. The boys sing the "Army of Helaman" part and the girls sing the "As Sisters in Zion" part. I cried everytime I did this. Not because I'm an emotional person, but just because everytime we sang this song I all the sudden had a really bad case of allergies.........This song has always touched me because it is true. We are as the army of Helaman. We have been taught in our youth. And we are NOW the Lord's missionaries to bring the world His truth. In the MTC all of us sang the "Army of Helaman" song and I remember how powerfully I felt the Spirit that night. As I looked around me at all the white shirts and suit coats in the gym that night, I felt like a soldier going to battle. I felt like one of God's warriors waiting to go out and to fight this battle against the devil. And that is exactly who we are. Right before I left to become a missionary, the young men in my home ward sang this song in Sacrament meeting. As I watched these young men sing with confidence and with courage, I saw them differently. I saw each one of them as valiant missionaries out in the world, spreading the gospel. One of those young men was my little brother. I know what a great missionary that he will make as he becomes a soldier in God's army. So even though we may look a little bit different than the army of Helaman in the Book of Mormon, and even though I'm not nearly as ripped as one of those young men in the picture up above, we really are like that old, great army. And I testify that we are doing a good work. We are doing the Lord's work. We are bringing the world His truth. And not just us missionaries, but all the faithful members of this, God's true church. Let us all stand valiantly to the responsibility that we have been given, and with confidence say, "I am on the Lord's side!"
I Stand All Amazed....at the army of Helaman.

2 comments:

  1. :)everytime I play this song on the piano i think of you! I love you bren!!! youre amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brennan,
    In your blog posts you have given too much credit to me as your earthly father. You came into our family with talents and gifts of your own. As a representative of the Lord Jesus Christ you are losing yourself in His everlasting work. You have developed these gifts and talents and because you used them the Lord is blessing with new ones. The credit belongs to our loving Heavenly Father and to you for listening to the Holy Ghost instruct and inform you where you are needed most. Thank you son! I am the lucky one in our relationship. May you know and feel of my great love for you and the Lord.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete