15 June 2011

Moments That Matter Most

http://radio.lds.org/video?lang=eng#!l70e1TfN34w

This video was pretty cool. I think that this was something that I needed to hear today, so I hope that it helps you as well. I love what President Uchtdorf said in the middle, "Lift up our eyes and truly see the things that matter most." How often do we do this? Just take a minute and lift up our eyes to see what matters the most in life? This was something that my parents were really good at when I was growing up. My dad would take the time away from work, rest, and his own hobbies to go outside on a hot summer day and play some catch with my brother and me. Mama would slave in the kitchen for hours to make us dinners that would put 5 star chefs outta business. I've seen pictures of my dad wrestling with us and reading us bedtime stories. These were the moments that mattered most to us. I especially remember the time that we all spent on the boat down in Lake Powell for a weeks together. They would both put their lives aside and create memories for us that have lasted a lifetime. We would get up early to get the morning ski in when the water was glassy. (I never went on the morning trips....that was way too early for me..) We would stay up late playing games and enjoying one another's company. Truly, they understood what matters most. Most importantly, I remember the sweet moments of family scripture study and family home evenings where we would spend even more time with each other. We felt the Holy Spirit together and we grew with each other. They realized that building strong family relationships and creating memories with each other. I'm grateful for the time that they spent to help my siblings and me to grow. I know that our Heavenly Father wants all of us to do the same. He wants us to "lift up our eyes." He tells us in Psalms 46:10: "Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth."

 I hope we all can lift up our eyes and our hearts and find the moments that matter most in our lives. Every day each of us can have a still moment where we can remember the Lord, and why he matters most in our lives. I Stand All Amazed...at the moments that matter most.

(P.S. My soccer coach of many years, Coach Laura, is cheering on her daughter at the soccer game in the video. She is the one jumping up and down with her hands above her head at about 1:00 into the video.)

2 comments:

  1. Elder Stringam,
    As a family we build where we are. Thank you for recognizing the good times - because we all know there are some bad ones as well. Most of the credit goes to your momma. She is the one who plans out our trips and she is the one who invites me to take time away from work.
    Thank you Elder Stringam for lifting me. You are a great son with countless talents and abilities. I love the comment "lift where you stand." Thank you for lifting me.
    dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said son! Thanks for the reminder today!
    I love you-
    Mama

    ReplyDelete