04 June 2011

Mormons Are Christians!

Here in the South, people, who don't know any better, have learned many (many) misconceptions about our Church. Some of the misconceptions are far-fetched and frankly ridiculous, while others are sincere questions of a wanting soul. I will give one example by sharing an experience that we had today:
There we were, Clarksville, TN. We had just got done riding our bikes for about 3 miles in the 96 degree heat; plus the humidity, it was probably about 100 degrees. Needless to say, the three of us were dripping with sweat. Our faces were all bright red, our legs felt like jelly, and if anyone knows how I get when it gets way too hot to be outside with no lake to jump into...I'm not a happy camper. (I said that because I think my family is down in Lake Powell right now.....but I'm not bitter...) We went to our 2 o'clock appointment and she bonked us, so we went and met with a less-active in our ward. After that, we started finding. We found two families who invited us to come back! I LOVE teaching families! After we talked to them, we were walking back to the bikes when we walked past a home with a bunch of SUV's in the driveway and one of them had stickered on the back window of one of them this stick figure family: 

We decided to knock on that door because we wanted to teach a family. We knock on the door and this middle-aged man (about 35) came out and said, "Are yall mormon?"
"Yes sir!" We said. And then he started to lay into us. He said that he is a non-denominational church pastor and started asking, more like accusing, a ton of dumb questions about anti-mormon literature. Now, lets remember the situation. I am onery as it is, I am soaked in sweat, and the last thing that I needed right at that moment was some guy who doesn't know a thing about our religion (and honestly nothing about his either) accusing us of weird doctrines. I, which was very wrong of me and I shouldn't have done this, gave it right back to him. We started bashing about religion and the bible and grace, and the trinity, and prophets, and etc. I had no patience with this guy and we put him in his place, not even kindly but forcefully. I kinda want to go and knock on his door and apologize, because I really do regret the way I handled the situation. The saddest part for me is going to be standing as a witness at the judgement bar of God and testifying against this man.

Its situations like these of why I am sharing this video. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland gives a powerful talk on the true nature of the Godhead.



http://lds.org/general-conference/2007/10/the-only-true-god-and-jesus-christ-whom-he-hath-sent?lang=eng&query=only+true+god  (yall can read the talk, but I would suggest watching it. Its much more exciting)

I place my testimony with that of Elder Holland. God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost are three, distinct and seperate beings. I know that to be true. I Stand All Amazed...at God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost.

1 comment:

  1. Satan is a master manipulator and will use things we love such as our church and our love for Christ and will twist things or prompt others to do or say things that will get us emotionally caught up in defense for something so sacred. We just need to remember to love them and that will be their example or possible seed... our love and patience (Christ like). But you are blessed to see where you could have gone about it differently, not everyone is that humble. You are doing an awsome job. Thank you

    ReplyDelete