18 June 2011

A Remarkable Relationship

With Father's Day tomorrow I think its only right that I talk about my Old Man. So, here is the Captain himself...

Its been said before by many sons that their father is their first hero and that is very true in the case of my dad and me. He is, plain and simple, just the MAN! He is tall, athletic, loving, motivated, and spiritual all together. I dunno how he does it, but the guy has everything that any son could ask for. I love him. I look up to him. I wanna be like him. And most of all I know that he is a man of God who I can model my life after. (I know that at the bottom of this blog he is gonna deny everything that I said about him, and if he does that, just ignore it because all that I have said is true). There are so many experiences I could share about hangin out with Dad. Playin ball in the backyard, going boating, going for a drive, going to sports games, helping in the yard, seeing him cheer me on in sports, grounding me when I needed it, providing for the family, up-holding his church callings, schooling him in one-on-one on the basketball court, etc. The list goes on and on. Most importantly, I know that my dad loves me. I know that he cares about my life and I know that he wants what is the very best for his family. That is how I know that my dad is my hero. If I can be HALF the man that my dad is, I will succeed in all aspects of my life.


Growing up, I had a picture much like this one in my room. I remember looking at it from time to time and thinking about my dad and how much I love and respect him. We have, and always will, share a remarkable relationship with each other. Elder M. Russell Ballard of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles gives an amazing talk on this relationship between a dad and a son. I remember sitting, next to my dad, in the Priesthood Session of conference when this talk was given and I remember the spirit that I felt when Elder Ballard was speaking. Here is the link to the talk, it is a little long, but I know that it is worth enduring to the end for:

http://lds.org/general-conference/2009/10/fathers-and-sons-a-remarkable-relationship?lang=eng&query=father+son+priesthood+session  

To my dad, I love you. I respect you and I look up to you. Thank you for all that you have taught me. I cannot begin to tell you how much you mean to me. I really do wanna be just like you. Your example says enough to the world of who you are. You are one who is noble and who is obedient and who is valiant. I know that the Lord is pleased with who you are. And if everything else fails in life, always know that you will forever have a #1 fan. All my love.

I Stand All Amazed....at my Old Man.

2 comments:

  1. Elder Brennan Stringam,

    Your words and most of all your feelings are all too kind. I am proud to be your dad. You are great Brennan and I thank you for our relationship. I am so thankful for our loving family. May you utilize the countless talents you have worked to develop and ones you earned long ago to further the Lord's work.
    All my love son.
    Dad.

    P.S. thank you for the $ and thought about getting a slurpee - BJ and I had one yesterday after working in the yard together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be a great daddy yourself someday. We love you son- keep up the good work thank you for serving with all your heart. Love you!

    ReplyDelete