16 July 2011

Jesus Wipes Away Tears


I was sitting here at the computer desk a few weeks ago and Sister Logan's bible opened right up to Revelation 21:4.."And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes;.." She has a note written on the side of that verse and it leads to Isaiah 25:8.."He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord God will wipe away tears from off all faces;.." As I read those two scriptures I thought about an experience I had a few years ago. I was about 14 and I was just doing the things a normal 14 year old Mormon kid does...still playing with Legos, going to Church on Sunday, playing roller hockey with my buddies everyday after school...yall know how it is. Dad was on a business trip...a very long one, and Mom was stuck with us for the time that Dad was gone. One night we were all in bed and I couldn't for the life of me fall asleep. It was pretty late, and upstairs I heard someone sniffling and talking. I needed a glass of water anyway, so I got outta bed and quietly walked up the stairs. I got to the top of the stairs and looked down the hallway to my parents bedroom. I peered around the corner, and saw the lamp beside my Mom's bed on, and my Mama kneeling beside her bed praying. She was sobbing and in her hands she was holding a Zip-Loc bag with some of Dad's clothes in it. Seeing that sight tore me up inside. It still does today as I remember it. Here was a woman that I love and adore with all that I have, here was a woman that does everything to help us without complaining once, here was a woman that put up with all the crap that I gave her as her hyper child, here was a woman that was filled with compassion and charity for all men, here was a woman that IS my superhero, and there she was helplessly sobbing. I walked down the hallway and into the doorway. My Mom looked up at me and said, thru bright red eyes and thru sobs, "His clothes smell like Zip-Loc!" Side note...Mama has this thing about smells. Like before I left to the MTC we were sitting in In-n-Out burger and she was next to me just smelling me. I still love her though. Un side note...At that moment I could've either laughed my head off or do what I needed to do. I kneeled down beside the bed and just held my Mom in my arms. We cried together for a while. As I look back on that memory, I learned many things that night. One thing I learned is that our Savior wipes away our tears. He gives us hope and reassurance when we are in dire need of it. He comforts us like He promised He would in John 14:18. He heals us just like He did in the Book of Mormon to some of the Nephites. He loves us. He wiped the tears away from our faces that night. He really does do what He promises He will do. I testify that He lives. He loves us so much that He has provided a way for us to be comforted. He will never leave us alone. He is the Way, the Truth, and the Light. I love Him.

I Stand All Amazed...at the perfect, sinless, and amazing Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

  1. Amen! B- I am sorry in some ways I didn't shelter you more and in other ways I am so grateful together we learned who Christ is and how He loves us. I love you always.
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elder Stringam,
    Your momma is one of "the great and noble ones." I recall on many occasions seeing my own mother kneeling at her bedside praying to our Heavenly Father. What a perfect example.
    Everyday, before your momma goes running at 5:30 am or sleeps in until 6:30 am she starts with kneeling prayer. She is a superhero!
    Love you Brennan,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete